Monday, August 23, 2021

ZOOM, A PLAY FOR LOCKDOWN (Thornhill Theatre Space)****

 

By Megan

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXRViqvsCO0&t=16s

Available until: Unknown

I’m really enjoying Thornhill Theatre Space’s #TTSFringe2. It has so many different types of performances about different subjects and in different styles from all over the world. #TTSFringe2 is a really nice celebration of digital theatre which is something that has been really important to a lot of people for the last eighteen months.

Zoom, A Play for Lockdown is a really funny play about a group of people who are putting on a play. They can’t do the actual play because of lockdown so they’ve decided to make it an audio play instead but they’ll be rehearsing it on Zoom.

Marie-Jose Zuurbier and Tess Townsend have written the characters really well. They’re all really different so you’re not going to get them confused but they are all all the sort of people you can imagine wanting to be in a play. They’re also all a little bit eccentric but they’re not too eccentric to be believable. They are all very funny and I really like them all and I wanted their play to be a success.

I really like all the Shakespeare references in this play especially as most of them are from A Midsummer Night’s Dream. This is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays but it is also a really good play to quote in this play because one of the storylines of A Midsummer Night’s Dream is obviously a group of people putting on a play so it’s really nice to have that theme all the way through.

Glyn Jones is very hardworking as the director John who takes it very seriously and tries to keep it all together. Writer Tess Townsend is an enthusiastic Pascale. Mills Ross plays Tamsin who seems like the sensible one at first but I did wonder a bit later on. David O’Roarty is very funny as Tristram and maybe it’s just me but I kept wanting to email the email address on his Zoom screen. Serena (who is played by Sara Robinson) is kind of like a very refined version of Bottom. She wants to be in charge and play all the roles and she ends up trying to solve her own murder which I’m sure Bottom would have loved. I really liked all the characters.

Zoom, A Play for Lockdown is very funny and I hope everyone enjoys watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...