Friday, October 30, 2020

A NIGHT CAP WITH… JORDAN LUKE GAGE (Theatre Cafe)*****

 

By Imogen

Link: https://www.thetheatrecafe.co.uk/livestreams/paul-taylor-mills-presents-night-cap-with-jordan-luke-gage-at-the-theatre-cafe/ £8

Available until: 6th November 2020. Once you’ve rented it you can watch it every day if you want.

Jordan Luke Gage is one of the biggest stars in the West End. He was starring as Romeo in & Juliet when everything went wrong and before that he was Strat in Bat Out of Hell. During lockdown he has sung Claude in Hair but my parents wouldn’t let me go and see that because they’re mean. I bet they won’t let me see it at the London Palladium either.

Jordan has a lovely smile. And I think he got it right when presenter Paul Taylor-Mills asked how he was and he said he was fantastic. He is fantastic! He looks very professional all in black and his clothes really suit him. I think he could star in any musical in the West End except the boring ones. Actually he could star in those too but I’d rather he didn’t because I might get bored when he’s offstage.

He sang songs from 5 musicals I haven’t seen but I totally would see them if Jordan was in them. I’m not sure I liked all the songs but I go to shows for the actors not the music. If all I cared about was the music I’d just buy the soundtracks and save myself the embarrassment of going out with my family.

The first song he sang is from his first professional musical, Taboo. I haven’t heard of it but Aashiq says it sounds like the sort of musical nobody talks about. Jordan played a drag queen which shows how talented he is. The song is called Stranger In This World and it shows off his really amazing voice and it shows he likes dark songs. I think that’s ok, it shows how masculine he is. I’m not saying men have to be masculine but we all have our own specific tastes and I like my boyfriends to be masculine.

Next he sang The Dark I Know Well from Spring Awakening. It’s usually a duet for two women so it’s quite a strange choice really but he loves the song and wanted to cover it and I don’t have a problem with that. I thought the song was quite harsh and clunky but a truly great singer can make harsh clunky songs sound good and that’s what Jordan did.

Jordan is a Greek geek (mythology) so obviously he wants to be in Hadestown and judging from how well he sings All I’ve Ever Known the only way he’s going to avoid being in it is if no one puts it on. It’s quite a sad song which he sings with so much expression and emotion. I can totally see Jordan as a Greek God. I prefer the Monteverdi and Gluck versions of the Orpheus myth but Hadestown is much better than the Offenbach.

Jordan is very generous. He says if he was prime minister for a day he’d make all theatre tickets free and give everyone a £100 Sainsbury’s voucher. That is so sweet. Theatre and food are for everyone.

Jordan also sang Where Do I Go? from Hair.  It’s quite a high, floaty song but Jordan hits the notes really easily and it sounds gorgeous. I really hope I can go and see it in the West End. I’ve got a really nice sparkly mask I can wear.

Jordan’s last song is one that inspires him and he has chosen Go the Distance from Hercules. Anyone who thinks Disney is for babies needs to see a man like Jordan singing it. Someone who is practicly grown up like me is going to appreciate a character like Hercules so much more than some baby. I hope they will make it into a musical starring Jordan. I will be very happy to play Meg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...