By Tommy
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zaTqbxPvVg
Available until: Unknow
Sofa Shakespeare is an online theatre company which produces
fascinating and innovative productions involving anyone who wishes to be
involved. Cast members are assigned a short section of the text and are then
able to present it in whatever manner they wish. They can speak the lines as
they would in a conventional production; they can use props and costumes; they
can allow their pets and toys to ‘speak’ the lines – it seems there are no
limitations, except, one would imagine, a few rules about common decency.
The result is an absolutely magical experience, full of talent and imagination. The Winter’s Tale seems particularly suited to Sofa Shakespeare because has moments of comedy, tragedy and just about everything in between.
It is, sadly, impossible to mention, or even to remember,
every single performer in this magnificent production, but I will mention a few
of those who made a particularly strong impression. However, I strongly believe
that everyone will have their own favourites so my review isn’t intended in any
way to give any more than some of my own personal highlights (which might be
completely different if I watched it again).
I actually had to pause the video several times and rewind
it and then call my daughter Lottie, who was entranced by all the scenes with
ducks in, though I was sad to have to tell her that, no, Shakespeare does not have
ducks in all his plays. The model ducks in the roles of Polixenes, Hermione and
Leontes were very carefully and beautifully painted in a variety of colours and
are already on my daughter’s Christmas list. Immediately afterwards, we saw a
cuddly duck (my notes are rather incomprehensible at this point, but I believe
this duck, too, might have been playing Polixenes). Another duck looked on as
Paulina the fox and Leontes the stag conversed. A whole family of ducks
appeared in Act 5, with Camillo looking particularly fine.
There are a number of other animals in this production. The
live ones are mostly cats and dogs, but we also saw some guinea pigs, birds and
even a flock of sheep. Two very handsome dogs give a fine performance of a
scene between Leontes and Camillo. A cat has a particularly tragic look in
their eye as Antigonus: perhaps they know what is to come. A canine Antigonus
with a bear (I think not the infamous one) seems genuinely saddened by Leontes’
instructions regarding Perdita. A wonderfully dramatic cat played Autolycus,
but there is a knowing look in the eyes of Clown: the cat actor clearly not as
deceived as his character.
There are also many cuddly toys, puppets, dolls and Lego
figures. One scene between Hermione and Polonius showed both characters as
tortoises and I felt this was particularly appropriate in Hermione’s case. A
tortoise carries his home on his back and Hermione metaphorically holds the
home together. The infamous bear makes his famous exit delightfully, apparently
aware that a whole flock of sheep is right behind him. Camillo, who could be
considered to stick his neck out for Polixenes, appears as a giraffe.
Artists also play a role, producing beautiful drawings of
the characters and their backgrounds, some realistic and some more imaginative,
including one showing Leontes as a lion and Camillo as a camel. A very simple
idea but extremely effective. There are some beautiful winter photographs,
accompanying a recording of some of Leontes’ lines. The flickering candle is
another very striking image.
There are a lot of very young Shakespearean actors, many delivering
their lines with astonishing clarity. There is a lovely young Polixenes early
in the play and a mischievous Mamillius who carefully considers Leontes’
request to go and play before complying. Another child listens, rapt, as their
parents read part of Act 3.
There were also many talented adult humans, wearing
wonderful costumes from a range of periods, some taking on several different
roles in one scene. I believe Emily Carding holds the record with four roles,
but my mathematical skills leave much to be desired and my recognition skills
are also inclined to be rather dubious. Leontes’ speech about his growing
jealousy is one I remember. Another Leontes displays his musical talents,
singing his lines as he accompanies himself on instruments including the
accordion and the glockenspiel. There is also a Leontes with what appears to be
a saucepan on his head, though the cooking vessel is completely outshone by his
talent. A Hermione gives a very touching protestation of her innocence.
There are also a couple of scenes on Zoom, which was lovely
to see as Zoom has proved so exceptionally-well suited to the production of
Shakespeare’s plays. All I know about TikTok is that I am, according to Imogen,
much too old for it, but I do know enough to be happy to see Paulina and the
Gaoler communicating via this medium. Text messages also play a role: as
Florizel and Camillo read their lines (beautifully), a more modern equivalent
appears on a smartphone screen.
There is an Emilia and Paulina who might have been actors
once, but now looked like poor Yorick, alas. A pot of thyme with eyes is a
particularly good moment and I also enjoyed Polixenes in his car and Clown’s
trip to the supermarket
I enjoyed the whole play and it is thoroughly recommended.
No comments:
Post a Comment