Thursday, October 22, 2020

NIGHTCLUB ME (Coronavirus Theatre Club)****

 

By Emma

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd0kcbV-x4I

Available until: Unknown

Trigger: Abortion (I probably shouldn’t say that really but I don’t want anyone to watch this without knowing and be upset by it)

I relate to this story a lot. Not the trigger part. Just the feeling that I’m not that interesting really and that I only become interesting after I’ve had quite a few drinks. I don’t do it now because I have to be more responsible but sometimes I wish I could. A lot of people have said to me that I probably wasn’t as interesting as I thought I was and I probably made a right idiot of myself (and some of the time, I probably did) but it really didn’t seem that way at the time.

That’s how it is for a lot of people including the character in this play. She has trouble knowing what to say when she’s sober but when she’s out clubbing, things are different and she feels like a better version of herself.

I think she’s actually a really nice person with so many good intentions. But good intentions aren’t always enough and that’s part of what makes this play so sad. And so real.

If this was a more conventional play I think it would have had a different ending. A more predictable ending that rounded everything off nicely and left as few loose ends as possible. But this play is much more realistic. I think it’s a brave thing for a writer to do because the ending could turn out really unsatisfying and just not work.

But it does work. Samantha Dooey-Miles writes this play so much from the heart and with so much sincerity and Stephanie Bron plays the character exactly as she’s written and doesn’t try to do anything clever with the role. It’s very real because everyone has moments when they know they could do something but they don’t and then the moment is gone and that really is just the end of it. This play works completely and the ending is exactly the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...