Wednesday, May 12, 2021

THE STATEMENT (Actor Monologues by Philip Pugh)****

 

By Jack

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emHS99RaRlg

Available until: Unknown

The Statement is a bit dark but I like it!

A student has died and the Head has to prepare a statement to say how sad she and the whole school are to learn of this girl’s untimely passing.

The problem is the Head is stuck in her office all day and she doesn’t actually know very much about this girl. Well why should she? If it’s anything like my school there’s probably more than 1000 students, how’s anyone supposed to be able to remember them all?

It’s not the sort of subject you’d usually write a comic monologue about. But fair play to Philip Pugh, he’s written it and he’s made it really funny. Kerry Ely looks quite young to be a Head but she’s great, she’s got the humour down and she doesn’t come across as being completely cold. Really good characterisation. I actually kind of like her, okay so maybe she’s not the kindest person but she’s totally honest with herself and her secretary and I respect her for that.

Great monologue, I really like how Philip’s monologues are about really interesting real life situations and it’s not all just slushy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...