Tuesday, September 1, 2020

DIE MEISTERSINGER VON NURNBERG (Glyndebourne)****

 

By Dave

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJI-A9BHKc

Available until: Sunday 6 September, 5pm

They’ve done it to me again! I always get landed with the performance the kids don’t want to review. Still, I can understand if they’re daunted by Wagner. Wagner is… a commitment. Der fliegende Hollander isn’t so bad as it’s fairly short but even with Das Rheingold, you know there are three parts more to go and you’re not even a quarter of the way through because they get longer and longer! I did once listen to the entire Ring Cycle in a day (when I was in my 20s, I never could resist a dare) and I actually ended up liking it more as it went on but would I ever do that again? No. One at a time? Definitely.

Wagner is also known informally in my family as Headache Music. It’s a metaphorical headache making sense of it all and it’s a literal headache listening to such powerful voice for four hours. If I’m putting you off, I can’t really blame you. But don’t go anywhere just yet.

Wagner is challenging. It’s scary. There’s even a book about not being scared of Wagner which was bought for Gerald Finley – one of the stars of this production– by his wife. Wagner operas are long and full of motifs. Though with the Ring Cycle, my brain usually got stuck on “Hold on… aren’t you two brother and sister?”

It’s okay to be a bit worried by Wagner, but if you enjoy opera, if you enjoy music, it would be a shame not to give it a try. The music is great and if you enjoy comedy, then Meistersinger is hilarious.

I think Meistersinger is actually less of an ordeal than many Wagner operas. It’s basically The X Factor, only with much louder voices. There’s no million pound recording contract on offer here but you could win a wife. It’s not the best way of going about things – you’ve got to imagine what Alastair Miles’ rich-voiced Veit Pogner thought he was doing - but it gives the situation an extra urgency. There’s more at stake here than who’s the best singer, though at least the potential wife can say no.

David McVicar’s production really brings out the humour in the opera and if you’re into art and design, Vicki Mortimer’s set is really something. There’s so much detail in it and the result is just beautiful. It looks so real you could almost believe the production was filmed on location. Watching a stage production is a magical experience but so is watching something and feeling you’re right there with the characters.

A lot of people believe opera is elitist. I disagree. When I first started going to opera, I could get in to all productions for under £10, in some cases I paid as little as £2. Inflation has obviously caused these prices to rise in the last fifteen years but although the front row is crazily expensive you can get good seats for quite reasonable prices. It usually works out cheaper than a day out at the football (though of course it depends on who you support). And the Meistersinger themselves are all working men. The celebrated Hans Sachs is a shoemaker. The real-life Meistersinger were mostly craftsmen.

The performances are all great. Eva is a bit of a silly girl in some ways, falling in love with one guy and then offering herself to another, but Anna Gabler gives her a really earnest sincerity and her voice is truly beautiful – and not as hard on inexperienced ears as many Wagnerian sopranos. Marco Jentzsch also has a great voice and really brings something special to Walther’s competition music – there’s no doubt he would be a worthy competition winner… if only he could stick to the rules.

Gerald Finley has always been one of my favourite singers and he does a great job here as Hans Sachs. He puts so much meaning into the music and his comic timing is faultless. He is also a skilled actor – the facial expressions he makes throughout a hilarious one minute and almost heartbreaking the next. I’m not completely sure I’d have turned him down in Eva’s place!

The sarcastic Sixtus Beckmesser is another great character who is so cleverly judged by Johannes Martin Kranzle. The character is ridiculous but he never goes over the top and becomes a caricature. All the Meistersinger gave really strong performances – Kunz Vogelsang (Colin Judson) was very well named (Vogelsang means birdsong) as are Konrad Nachtigall the nightingale (Andrew Slater). There were also great contributions from Topi Lehtipuu and Michaela Selinger as David and Magdalene.

I really enjoyed it – and if 4 hours, 44 minutes sounds daunting, the opera is available till Sunday so you don’t have to watch it all in one go. Youtube even keeps your place for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...