By Dave
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO1ovy_vvNY
Available until: indefinitely
Someone once told me The Comedy of Errors was a
‘romp’. It’s fair to say I misinterpreted what they meant slightly but I really
can’t say this play was a disappointment the first time I saw it.
It wasn’t a disappointment this time either. It is a bit
silly so you don’t want to take it too seriously but it’s also a lot of fun. So
just sit back, enjoy it, don’t think too hard and you’ll have a great time. As
always, Shakespeare Happy Hours know exactly how to pitch the play and the
humour to ensure their audience has a great time.
They’ve done well with the casting – Alex Hernandez (Antipholus of Syracuse) and Dylan Kammerer (Antipholus of Ephesus) aren’t really identical but there are certainly physical similarities. The two Dromeos, Drew Broussard (Syracuse) and Dan Beaulieu (Ephesus) are a fairly good match too – and both sets of twins are wearing almost identical clothes. It all helps the audience to fall in with the illusion.
The four twins play their roles really well. They’re close
enough in character to their twins to help make the mistaken identity
convincing but there are small differences which you can really appreciate,
especially in the Zoom close-ups. Throughout the series, all four of these
actors have shown a real talent for comedy and they work together brilliantly,
whether they’re with the ‘right’ master/servant or not. Some of the facial
expressions Alex and Dylan produce when they’re mistaken for their twin only
add to the amusement while Drew and Dan get warier and warier of whichever
Antipholus they happen to think is their master.
Danielle Nigro and Celeste Perez are assertive (I do mean
that in a good way) as sisters Adriana and Luciana. Joel Iwaskiewicz’s
eccentric Dr Pinch might be my new favourite character in the play (though I’m
not sure, he has lots of competition) and Doug Share is a well-characterised
and slightly scary Angelo. I definitely wouldn’t want to mess him around so I’m
very glad I don’t have an identical twin running around the place. Natasha
Magigi is a stylish courtesan and there’s a really moving moment at the end
when Kathy Somssich’s Abbess meets James Sears’ Egeon.
There’s another great moment when everyone suddenly and
simultaneously realises what’s been going on. This cast really make the most of
it and make it sound convincing.
One advantage of producing the play on Zoom is that we
always know which Antipholus and/or Dromeo is onscreen. It can be a bit
difficult to be sure in a theatre if you’re sitting a long way back and I do
think Zoom helped with keeping track of what was going on.
Even my twins enjoyed the play. They’ve just started
secondary school and they’re a little bit resistant to Shakespeare on the whole
but they love anything with twins in and I’ve discovered that applies even when
it’s recommended by their dad. The Comedy of Errors has twin sets of
twins so I was on to a winner, probably for the first time this year. There are
parts which I hope went over their head (and I think they probably did - if my
daughter knew what a courtesan was, she’d definitely have asked me, just to see
if she could embarrass me) but the only thing she asked me is if Shakespeare
wrote any more twin plays. I told them about Twelfth Night, asked if
they were interested and got a ‘yes; from my son and a ‘maybe’ from my
daughter, which is about as close to a yes as I could hope for. Now I just need
to interest my older son. All I need is a Shakespeare play about railways and
football… oh dear.
No comments:
Post a Comment