By Aashiq
Link: https://vimeo.com/24354145
Available until: Unknown
This isn’t a play and it wasn’t filmed in lockdown,
but I’m reviewing it anyway because it’s written by Reece Dinsdale and I adore
him as Albert in Agatha Christie’s Partners in Crime (the old series
from the 80s which is really good, not the David Walliams monstrosity).
Well worth a watch. After you’ve watched Imaginary Friend.
Pauline has an imaginary friend and housemate, Margery. They chat quite companionably as Pauline gets a cup of tea. The friendship is interesting right from the start, but the more it goes on, the more questions arise. Now I’ve watched it, I think the situation is this… but it could be that. Or it could be something else I haven't thought of. I usually get quite annoyed over that sort of thing because I just want to know what’s going on RIGHT NOW, but I don’t feel that way about Imaginary Friend. I want to keep thinking and wondering – and I’ll probably keep thinking and wondering for a long time.
For this beautifully-shot film (directed by Ian
Bevitt), Reece has created two fascinating characters and Maxine Peake gives a
characteristically excellent performance which not only brings her own
character, Pauline, to life, but Margery too. I felt as though I could see Margery
and I could guess what she was saying from Maxine’s reactions. The tension
builds brilliantly towards the end, at which point the story twists in a
direction I really wasn’t expecting. The film is only thirteen minutes long,
but time seems to slow down, suspending you in a moment of real terror.
It’s clever, intriguing and genuinely disturbing
film. I loved it.
No comments:
Post a Comment