By Cal
Link: http://stratfordeast.com/get-involved/stratford-east-podcast/
Available until: Indefinitely, I would guess. There
are podcasts available right back to 2018.
Episode 1: Growing Up in Racist Britain
Episode 2: Police Brutality
Episode 3: The Effects of Racism on Mental Health
I’m not going to review these podcasts. It doesn’t seem right
to talk about how good they are, to rate them as a piece of art. The message is
too important for that and the podcasts are not designed to entertain.
But I hope you’ll be able to listen to them.
It won’t be easy to listen, but it’s not supposed to be. This is an opportunity to learn and feel and try to understand. I know a lot of people who have experienced discrimination. Members of my family have been discriminated against for their gender, their sexuality, their nationality, their religion, their culture, their disabilities and their mental and physical health problems. This is wrong and it should not be happening it is terrible that there isn’t always support for people who need it and I care about you too – but that’s not what we’re talking about right now. We’re talking about the racism that exists in the UK and around the world.
Black Lives Matter. No-one is saying other people’s lives
don’t, but we need to stick to the subject. We can show that black lives matter
to us in many different ways, whether that’s donating or protesting or talking
or writing letters or even just learning from and listening to people. These
podcasts are an opportunity to learn from people who have willingly shared their
world with us – which they are not obligated to do.
These podcasts are shocking and upsetting. If you are young
or in any way vulnerable, as many people are, it might not be a good time for
you to listen to these podcasts. You know best about that. Share it with other
people who can. Ask their advice. Ask them to share what they feel you can cope
with. There are other ways
you can help - and you will be able to help more if you take care of yourself
too.
But if you can listen, I really hope you will.
No comments:
Post a Comment