By Imogen
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfeUxcIOW68&t=2012s
Available until: Indefinitely
Shakespeare Happy Hours is a very good idea because it cuts
all the Shakespeare plays down to an hour and a half. I think that’s quite
enough. Who wants to sit through four hours of talking? Of course, when I play
Portia I want to do the longest possible version so I get paid more but if I’m
watching I prefer it to be as short as possible.
There are a lot of bad things in this play. A lot of people are uncomfortable with the antisemitism and I can understand why. It’s not very nice. But I don’t believe the play really sets out to tell us all that antisemitism is okay. It’s not saying that Christians are good and Jews are bad. The Christians are just as bad as the Jews – if not worse. Shylock does what he feels like he needs to do to survive but the other characters play dishonest tricks just for the fun of it. I think the play is really saying that everyone is capable of doing bad things. I think Shakespeare is telling us to watch these people and make up your own mind. Well, I’ve made up their mind and I think they’re all stupid cruel liars. I do quite like the idea of dressing up and tricking my boyfriend but I think if it worked I would hate him for betraying me and if it didn’t work I would hate him for being so clever so I’ve decided not to do that.
I really liked Kara Arena who plays Portia. She is very
pretty and very talented and she should have been in a lot more of the
Shakespeare Happy Hours. She wears headphones to use Zoom and makes them look
like accessories which is really important because it means we can follow the
story and not get distracted because someone from the 15th century
or whenever it is has headphones which haven’t been invented yet. She looked
very pretty in disguise too but she also looked very different. I knew who she
was but I could believe her idiot boyfriend didn’t.
Most of the boys are idiots and I wouldn’t marry any of them
except Alex Hernandez who was in the ensemble because he is really hot and he
wears nice clothes and he acts very well too. Bassanio (Josh Innerst) and
Gratiano (Dylan Kammerer) were both very silly but they are good characters
though I do think the girls could do better. Jessica (Celeste Perez) is very
pretty but I don’t think she is a nice person at all to steal from her dad. I
would never steal from my dad. If he won’t give me any money I just ask Uncle
Gareth. He doesn’t always say yes but he says it often enough for it to be
worth trying.
Salerio and Solanio are a bit annoying but Natasha Magigi
and Christine Penney were quite funny so they weren’t as annoying as they could
have been. I think they would make me want to scream if I met them but they are
good in a play. Usually in Happy Hours there are lots of women playing men and
sometimes men playing women but apart from Salerio and Solanio they kept to the
right genders and that is probably a good choice with all the gender swapping,
it helps make things clearer. The Prince of Morocco was really good too, all
creepy and mysterious. I’m not sure who played him but it was probably Jerome
Hamann-Hardiman. He’s one of those actors who can stand or move in a different
way and you kind of don’t recognise them because they’ve become a different
person. That’s how I want to be. Onstage anyway. I would be extremely cross if
I wasn’t recognised at the stage door.
Joel Colodner who plays Shylock was really compelling. He’s
a really bad man (because of how he behaves, not his race) but there is
something about him that kind of makes you want to do what he says. He’s one of
those people who can talk you into anything. Like those really horrible boys
who go to Smokers’ Corner at break or the really horrible boys who actually
talk to Jack and I know I shouldn’t go out with them because they’re twits
(with a slightly different spelling) and they would probably do something
really awful like forget to hold the door open for me or expect me to pay for
my own food but somehow I do end up in McDonalds with them and of course I’m
totally right and it was as awful as I thought but I do it anyway. Not that I
want to kiss Shylock, he’s much too old.
No comments:
Post a Comment