By Cal
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6nvPOWTu5U&t=1s
Available until: 14th
August 2020
When I first noticed this on youtube, I assumed it was a
ballet for children. The title suggested a performance for children. It was
clearly based on or at least inspired by a children’s book. It also seemed to
be a Royal Ballet production so I thought it was a ballet for children and I
thought I’d get my six year old sister to watch it.
Luckily, I found out a but more about it. I wouldn’t say this is really for children. There is a lot for children to enjoy – some of the scenes have a childlike tone, there is a lot of dancing which children will enjoy and a lot of children will know the story – not that the piece really follows the story.
I think Lottie would probably have loved it but I think she
would have missed the idea behind the piece. In this version of the story,
Alice, The Mad Hatter, the March Hare, the Dormouse, the White Rabbit, the
Cheshire Cat, the Queen of Hearts, Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum are all patients
in a psychiatric hospital where they’re looked after by Ernest. At first, they
are frightened and shy, reluctant to share their stories, but gradually, they
open up.
But Ernest discovers they aren’t the only person in the
story who needs help. He does too. This doesn’t come as a particular surprise
to me – I’ve seen and heard enough of NHS mental health care to realise it’s
actually a bit much to expect your therapist to be sane. It’s also quite a
common theme in literature for characters who are supposed to be providing
mental health care to find they need some level of help too. But I’m not
criticising any lack of originality - I’m not sure I’d find the idea of a sane
mental health worker entirely believable and I think I might have been slightly
disappointed if The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party had taken this unprecedented
route.
My other assumption, that it was a ballet, was also
incorrect. Although the piece, staged at The Roundhouse, has some connection
with the Royal Ballet, there was very little that actually looked like ballet.
I would describe most of the dancing as hip-hop. It bothered me at first that although
the characters had their own distinct stories and characters, they all seemed
to dance in the same way and did not seem to have their own particular style,
but I think that problem is probably more due to my limited experience of this
style of dance. I used to think classical music all sounded the same – and I
didn’t like it much! But after becoming part of a family where music was very
important, hearing classical music all the time and eventually even learning to
play and sing it myself, I realised it covered a huge range of styles and
sounds and character. And I like it a lot! So I think it’s possible the dancing
in The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party is a lot more varied than I realised and
that it is possible to pick out clear differences in style – if you know enough
about it.
The music was mostly quite similar, though this was not due
to any lack of versatility on the part of composers and lyricists (and
performers) DJ Walde and Josh Cohen. There were some more lyrical, even
balletic parts of the music – this just didn’t happen very often. The music was
performed and sung by a band above the stage and it worked really well. I doubt
even this talented team of performers could sing whilst performing multiple
backflips.
The production very sensibly questions the concept of being
normal and I feel it does come to the correct conclusion in the end, but I’m
not sure it was demonstrated in the most effective way. The production ends
with everyone dancing in unison, having a great time at a party – and isn’t
this exactly what ‘normal’ people are expected to do? To do exactly the same as
everyone else, at a function which is deemed socially acceptable, and to have a
great time because this is a party and who doesn’t love a party? There are so
many people, particularly teenagers but not exclusively, who are forced into
the mindset that they must do what everyone else does and they must enjoy it
and if they don’t, they’re not normal. The characters also changed their
distinctive and individual clothing – they were still recognisable but had lost
some of their individuality here too and the general idea seems to suggest the
encouragement of normality and stifling of individuality rather than anything
else.
But leaving aside my own personal reservations – which are
very personal and probably in complete disagreement with most people’s views –
there was a lot to enjoy. The dancing was of a very high standard, with the
cast throwing themselves effortlessly about the stage and never seeming to run
out of energy. Just when it seemed they really must be exhausted, they turned
it up another notch. It was impressive to watch and very enjoyable.
Most of the characters were instantly recognisable. Alice,
the Queen of Hearts, the Mad Hatter, Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum. The animals
weren’t as recognisable as they did appear to be human, but as the other
characters were unmistakeable, it was easy to learn who the others were. Tommy
Franzen was very likeable as Ernest – slightly geeky and giving the impression
of clumsiness, even when he was showing what an incredible dancer he was. He
almost had to carry the earlier scenes when the other characters were refusing
to respond to him and those were actually some of my favourite moments.
Teneisha Bonner provided some real glamour as the Queen of Hearts, a much more
sympathetic figure than in the original novel - her performance was filled with
understated, almost casual brilliance. Kayla Lomas-Kirton was a girlish Alice,
though she didn’t seem to be the outsider she was in the book (she came from
Wonderland too), and Isaac Baptiste, aka Turbo, owned the stage as the Mad
Hatter. There was a lot to enjoy from all the dancers – and I really feel that
most of the aspects of the production I feel unsure of are far more because of
me than because of the production itself. It wasn’t short of entertainment or
genuine skill.
No comments:
Post a Comment