By Megan
Link: https://page.inplayer.com/Intermissions/
Available until: 1st September 2020
We missed the Intermissions shows when they were new but
we were given a special offer of watching all four concerts for £20 (they’re £10
each) and that is so generous so we decided to watch them and I’m so glad we
did.
The person who had the idea of doing the concerts is Alice Fearn who is a West End star. She played Elphaba in Wicked and she was playing Beverley, Annette and Others in Come from Away when all the theatres closed. The concerts were in Ms Fearn’s back garden so they didn’t break the rules and they were social distancing. I think it is a really lovely idea. I had a lot of fun watching this concert and I could tell the singers all had a really good time too and they were all in the garden together the whole time so they had an audience in person as well as an online audience.
There ware several guests in each concert and they all
perform songs and talk to Ms Fearn about what they had been doing in lockdown. It
is really friendly and relaxed which is nice but some of them are wearing
concert clothes and concert hair. It is nice to dress up sometimes and it
probably made it feel even more like a concert.
The camera work looked really professional. It felt quite
weird to be watching films with lots of different camera angles. We’ve mostly
been watching films of staged productions which don’t have many camera angles and
concerts in lockdown so this feels really technical and exciting. We see lots
of Ms Fearn’s lovely garden and she’s got some really pretty signs that say
Intermissions and Broadway.
Nick Barstow played the piano. I don’t know how they got a
whole piano into the garden but they did it! He’s really really good and he can
sing too! He did some duets with Ms Fearn.
Ms Fearn opened the concert with a brilliant song, I’m not
sure what it was called but I really liked it. Then she said a few words about
the theatres being closed. She is so good at talking to the camera. She explains
everything really well so it sounds really professional but she sounds really
friendly too. She also sang a song called Old Friends which is really nice
because she got to see lots of her old friends in the concerts.
The first guest was Andy Coxon. Mr Coxon described the
moment when his production of West Side Story shut down on Day 2 of
rehearsals. It was really really sad but it was really special to hear what had
happened and how it felt. He also told us about making his own deodorant called
Akt which helps actors when they get too hot in performances. It sounds really
helpful.
The next guest was Jodie Steele who was on the national tour
of Six but since the theatres closed she has been working as a carer for
autistic people. She cares for two ladies who love musical theatre so she
taught them routines and she really loves doing it. She also does really fun workshops
on her website Jodie Steele Associates which is called JSA for short. I watched
a play recently where someone was moaning about JSA and I was really confused because
Jodie Steele Associates is brilliant but then Louise (my sister) explained they
meant Job Seeker’s Allowance which is money you get when you don’t have a job. That
made a lot more sense. Ms Steele also talked about how the Six drive in tour
was planned and then cancelled a few days later which is really really sad. We’re
going to see Ms Steele in Godspell tomorrow (online I mean) and I am so
excited!
A lady called Shan Ako sang a new song called Step Up which
she wrote herself. I really like the song a lot and she has a really beautiful
voice. I don’t think I know anyone else who has a voice like her and it’s so
lovely. She talked about her inspirations for writing sings and her first
musical theatre appearance in Les Misérables and what happened when the
theatres closed.
There was a really lovely section about the students who
graduated this year who probably didn’t get to finish their course and when
they got out there was no theatre. Lots of people from the theatre industry did
lovely encouraging messages for them all and that was so nice of Ms Fearn to
organise that and for them all to do it.
Afterwards Ms Fearn showed us an interview she did on Zoom a
while ago with a graduate called Elliot Akeister where she asked him lots of
questions where he had to choose between two options. He shouldn’t feel bad for
not knowing people from The Great British Bake Off because I’ve never
seen it either. I’m sure it’s very good but we don’t have time to watch all the
good programmes because we need to sleep sometimes and get our daily exercise. Mr
Akeister sang Her Voice from The Little Mermaid. He has a lovely voice
and I’m sure I will see him in the West End one day. I thought he acted the
song really well and when I looked at his eyes it was like he was really
looking at someone which made it feel really real.
Ms Fearn and Ms Ako sang When You Believe from The Prince
of Egypt together. I haven’t seen The Prince of Egypt but I really
want to. This song makes me feel really shivery. It says there can be miracles
when you believe so I am going to believe in lots of miracles for everyone.
There is a social interactive media section where Ms Fearn reads
us all the messages and shows us pictures from people who are watching live. It
sounds like people really enjoyed it a lot and I’m not surprised because I really
enjoyed it too.
Ms Fearn sang You’ll Never Walk Alone which is famous as the
song of Liverpool who finally got their first Premier League trophy this year,
they are not my favourite team but they really deserved it and I was quite
worried they would void the season and not have a champion so I’m glad they
did. But it is also a song in a musical called Carousel which is available to watch online.
I really like the way Ms Fearn changed her voice so it sounded more like
Rodgers & Hammerstein, it was almost like light opera. I really liked the
arrangement too. Her last song was really jazzy and she can sing that too, she’s
really good. I hope I’ll get to see her in Come from Away one day. She
is so talented and she is a really nice person too.
At the end we got a preview from Emma Lindars who is going
to be a guest in the next show. I am looking forward to seeing her. Sam Tutty from
Dear Evan Hansen is going to be a guest too.
We are going to watch and review one Intermissions
concert each day. I don’t think I will review them all but I know the other
concerts will be brilliant so I hope lots of people will buy them and enjoy
them before the offer runs out.
No comments:
Post a Comment