By Imogen
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDQjlp2Zlbc&t=42s
Available until: Indefinitely
The Barn Presents… concerts don’t always have great
music. Each concert is all about a composer no one has ever heard of but they
have some big West End stars to sing them. So if you’re missing the West End
stars the concerts are great to watch.
This week’s composer was Dominic Powell and I was like who? But he’s really good. His songs are so catchy and emotional and if his new musical Cases ever opens I will insist on being taken to see it. Dominic can even sing, he sang one of his songs and it wasn’t easy at all, it was very wordy and I could imagine an inferior singer totally tripping over his words which is always hilarious but Dominic knew what he was doing.
The singers in this concert included West End Royalty!
Literally. Maiya Quansah-Breed played Catherine Parr in Six and Courtney
Stapleton covered and played every single Queen and is now covering the two
main female roles in Dear Evan Hansen. Waylon Jacobs was a standby Aaron
Burr in Hamilton and cover Simba in The Lion King and covered
three roles in Memphis. I’d obviously heard of most of the others too
because I know the West End. So this concert was an hour of my time well spent.
Maiya is just so lovely. I would like to sing with her one
day, maybe in Six. I’m definitely a Katherine Howard except I’ve had
more boyfriends than she has. Maiya sang her song Heightened very beautifully
and very emotionally, she so needs to sing the 3 Es who are obviously Eliza,
Elphaba and Eponine.
Courtney was brilliant too, she has a big range and can sing
anything but Crazy showcased the lower part of her range which is very rich and
still very feminine. She could sing the 3 Es too, if you can sing all the Six
queens you can basically sing anything, the songs all have such a different
style and character.
Waylon is another one with a versatile voice which is one of
the reasons I like him, he is also very hot. He sang Hoi Polloi really softly
and gently and like sincerely. And although the others aren’t such big stars
they did a really good job too. Katie Ramshaw who sang Shining Star needs to
support her top notes a bit more to give them more resonance, she was so right
not to belt them but she does have the ability to float the high notes and even
when they were held back a bit they still sounded very beautiful, she’s
definitely someone who could end up singing all the roles I want. I also liked
the love duet Lie With You which was sung by Bradley Judge and Emily
Chesterton, it worked surprisingly well for a love duet on Zoom and I could see
they’d tried really hard to create a romantic connection. I liked the whole
concert but I can’t mention everybody because no one has time to read a long
review.
No comments:
Post a Comment