By Alan
Link: https://page.inplayer.com/Intermissions/
Available until: 1st September 2020
I have only reviewed Shakespeare before so I hope this is
ok. I like musical theatre too.
Megan described the set up really well in her review so I
won’t explain everything again, but this is a series of concerts in West End
star Alice Fearn’s garden and for each show she is visited by a few West End
stars who sing and have a chat to her. It’s outside so it’s not so dangerous
and there is social distancing.
They donate to a charity every week too. Last week was Acting for Others which supports actors who are having financial problems which is most actors at the moment. This week is Mind which is a mental health charity. These are old concerts which I’m not watching live but you can still support the charities.
One thing I liked is that the garden is a bit like a studio
with different areas for singing and interviews and a green room. I like the opening
credits too, they are fun and like a TV show and it’s like they’re really
professional about it but they don’t take it too seriously?
The guests were Emma Lindars, Sam Tutty and Joe Tracini who
were there live and a drama school graduate called Olympia Curry who was
interviewed before the show. They all sang and had an interview. I think it is
a good format. Alice Fearn sang with most of her guests. Sometimes presenters
are kind of at a metaphorical distance from guests. Alice Fearn was obviously
at a social distance but she wanted to have fun with her guests and that’s nice.
The music was very varied and I liked it. Emma Lindars sang
some jazzy songs with really high notes. She has a really powerful voice and I
think she is lots of fun.
Sam Tutty sang You Will Be Found from Dear Evan Hansen. He
plays the title role and he sings the song really well. The first half is slow
but it is a really really hard song which I can’t sing at all, I can’t get the
voice control or the breath control and I definitely haven’t got enough brain
left to act the song too so every time I hear this song I think about how talented
and hard working and physically strong the West End stars are. In his interview
he talked about getting the role straight out of drama school which is mad but he
deserves it. He supports Black Lives Matter too.
Joe Tracini sang a really funny song he made up and played
his ukulele which is called Steve. It’s like his song should have been really
stupid but it went beyond that into complete genius? He has BPD and I like the
way he talks about it. It helps me. I hope it helps him too. But the interview
was actually about the videos he’s done of him doing contemporary
dance/exercise in a leotard and they went viral. He’s got funny names for all
the moves and it’s really good.
Olympia Curry talked about graduating from drama school and
played the This or That game and she sang Waiting for Life from Once on This
Island. I think she is a really good communicator and she holds the high notes
really well.
Alice Fearn sang Ashes by Celine Dion. She is so good, she
doesn’t copy the singers but it’s like she finds something inside herself to
create her own special way of singing each song.
I liked this concert and I am looking forward to the next
one.
No comments:
Post a Comment