By Louise
Link: https://stream.roh.org.uk/packages/don-giovanni-2019/videos/don-giovanni
Available until: 27th
December 2020
The Royal Opera have been really
wonderful for keeping us entertained during the pandemic. They stream their
past productions online for a very small price, as well as putting on socially-distanced
shows for a very small or no audience, which can be watched online.
This production of Don Giovanni
is probably my favourite ROH streamed production so far, but I did enjoy all
the other productions a lot. It is a beautiful opera musically anyway and it
has lots of interesting characters, but in Kasper Holton’s production – revived
by Jack Furness - they are especially interesting because he has shown the
characters in ways I have never seen them before. The ending is really
interesting too.
It has a really beautiful set, which was designed by Es Devlin. It is kind of like a two-storey house, but with stairs and passages rather than proper rooms. It is on a turntable, which is used to move characters out of view of the audience. It also has video designs by Luke Hall. These are quite big, but I really think they enhance the production and don’t take it over. One video design is used to protect the modesty of Donna Elvira’s maid. Another is to give the impression that the characters are walking down long corridors. There’s another one I like a lot near the end, but I don’t think I should tell you about that.
The conductor Harmut Haenchen surprised
me at the start. I have heard the overture lots of times and it is my favourite
Mozart overture, though it does have a lot of competition. But this time, the overture
started off with an extra edge of danger and the conductor brought out layers
of the music which are not usually that obvious. It was almost like hearing a
new overture and it was so exciting. Once the opera started, the music sounded
more as I expected it, but that wasn’t disappointing either because the music
is so beautiful.
Erwin Schrott first appeared in Don
Giovanni at the Royal Opera House about ten years before this production.
He played Leporello, but he returned as Don Giovanni the next time it was
revived and he has continued to play both roles. My mum says he looks just the
same, but his performance is calmer and quieter with less comedy and more
subtleties. He has a lot of stage presence and he has a bit of swagger, but not
too much. This makes him mysterious and intriguing. His voice is very rich and flexible
and he is a good actor. There are also moments when he is surveying the action
and looking at the messes he caused and I think he enjoys it. He acts the
ending brilliantly. It really makes me wonder about everything.
Roberto Tagliavini is another Leporello
who might go on to play the title role. When he sings that he’d like to be a
nobleman you can actually imagine it. He is attractive with lots of stage
presence and unlike his master, he does have a bit of a conscience. He acts
Leporello very well without doing lots of comedy.
The production seems to have a big
focus on the female characters and they are played differently from usual. Firstly,
there is Donna Elvira’s maid, played by Josephine Arden. She’s often just a
shadow or a head at a window (and I’ve never seen her in a cast list before),
but she appears in a couple of scenes with Donna Elvira. This means we know who
she is already when Don Giovanni decides he likes her. She also provides one of
the funniest moments.
Donna Elvira is usually portrayed as someone
who is too in love with Giovanni to think properly, but Myrto Papatanasiu makes
her seem intelligent. She tracks Giovanni down without any trouble and then she
rescues Zerlina from him and warns Donna Anna too, then she leads the attempt
to storm the masked ball. But although she is the one masterminding everything,
she is the one who can’t resist him in the end, which is actually quite moving.
She knows he isn’t a good man, but she really loves him.
Malin Byström (who my mum is sure she
saw as Zerlina) plays Donna Anna, who is especially interesting as she goes on
a really big emotional journey. At the start, she likes Don Giovanni, but there’s
a big shock moment when she realises what it has led to and all the way
through, she is trying to deal with all the terrible things that have happened
because of her. She sings gorgeously.
Zerlina can be played as being very
innocent or as being very friendly to the men (Masetto doesn’t think she’s as
innocent as she seems and depending on who plays Zerlina, I have different
ideas about whether he’s right or if it is just his jealousy). Louise Alder
(who is a really wonderful singer) is quite stroppy but very beguiling as
Zerlina, and she makes a very interesting choice which could be interpreted in
a couple of different ways. This made Zerlina even more interesting in the
second half because I was still trying to understand her.
Daniel Behle is really lovely as Don
Ottavio, but Leon Kosavic’s Masetto isn’t so nice. If you watch it you will see
why I’m not very sure about him, but I think the role is acted and sung really
well. Petros Magoula’s Commendatore is really creepy and the statue plays a much
bigger role than usual.
It really is a very enjoyable
production and I really liked seeing the new interpretations of the female
characters and thinking about them in different ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment