By Alan
Link: https://www.stream.theatre/shows
£18
Available until: Further livestreams on Monday 23rd-Saturday
29th November, with 2.30pm matinees on Saturday 28th and
Sunday 29th.
I don’t always like juke box musicals as I think they can be
a bit lazy but I don’t really see this as a juke box musical. There’s no plot,
it’s more the story of music from around the 1920s which was obviously 100
years ago. Peter Polycarpou does most of the presenting and the explanation of
what music was being written but he is helped in this by Sally Ann Triplett who
does some of the narration and sings quite a lot of the songs.
The stage has scenery which is unusual for lockdown theatre but it does give the production something extra. The accompaniment is mostly provided by offstage piano and that is really good but there is also a piano onstage which Peter Polycarpou plays.
The two performers are both really good. Peter Polycarpou
does a really good job of explaining everything clearly and Sally Ann Triplett
is especially good at the acting. They are both very good and very versatile
singers and they can sing in all the different styles.
I thought it was really interesting. I enjoyed hearing about
the history of each of the songs and I liked the music too. It was more varied
than I thought it would be. There were a few songs I already knew. Smile for
example is a really famous song and I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles is a West Ham
song. We aren’t West Ham fans but Jack is a Millwall fan and he knows rude
versions of West Ham songs. There is another song I have heard on Strictly and
a few more I know because they are from musicals.
Not all the well-known songs are sung all the way through,
sometimes it is just a line but most of the songs are sung all the way through
and they are really good. There is music from Charlie Chaplin which was nice. I
knew he won an Oscar for a film score but I had not heard his music before.
Falling Stars is quite expensive and it is only an
hour long but it is an opportunity to see two big West End stars sing really
good music which you might have never heard of before and you can learn a lot
from watching it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment