Saturday, March 20, 2021

ON THE THRONE (Echo Chamber)*****

  

By Jack

Link: https://soundcloud.com/user-835875735-970582305/on-the-throne-a-short-audio-play 

Available until: Unknown

Not everyone will go for this. The throne isn’t exactly a monarch’s throne. It’s the throne in the bathroom. There are a few noises but mostly just flushing. If you don’t like noises you might not like this and you don’t have to listen. But before you give up on it… why don’t you want to listen?

It’s a perfectly normal body function, a natural part of life. Healthy people do it pretty much every day. We’ve all heard ourselves. We’ve heard most of our family too. It’s actually a lot more worrying if someone isn’t going. Come on, give it a go, it’ll be a waste if you don’t. Send your prejudices down the pan.

Besides it’s not just about the throne. Let’s eliminate that idea right now. Like what the deuce? It’s about the conversations we have when one of us is sitting there. The ones which are related but also the ones that aren’t. The conversations through the door and the ones where you let someone in with you. There are people on the phone – and not just the big white one. There are people… logging on. Downloading some software (yes that’s a euphemism too). Dumping on each other (not literally).

Yes there’s a lot to snigger about if you’re immature like me but it’s also funny because families are funny. The conversations we have sometimes. We are privy to some really interesting ones. It really made me cackle. There’s a new joke dropping in almost every line. Family members demanding your attention and you end up telling them to scat. And they think you’re just stooling. I’m still thirteen (and two turds) but I’ve had that fourteen year old’s conversation. I might also have pretended I was going somewhere else but let’s not go into that. If Imogen forgets to pretend she never reads my reviews I’ll never hear the end of it.

Echo Chamber… man-ure good. Hot to trot. Loominous work from Lynsey Murrell, Radhika Aggarwal (who is also producer and director), Katherine Rodden, Alex Lipitch, Josephine Starte and Orson Aldridge. I worship these porcelain gods and goddesses! (No I haven’t gone potty.)

If you think this sounds like crap… you’re kind of right. But if you can get your mind open (and your bowels if you need to) and listen at your convenience you will hopefully realise this play is clever, funny and real. Keep it real guys. And we all know what real people need to do-do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...