By Imogen
Link: All
I Want For Christmas Is Theatre - Thespie | Thespie
Available until: 14th
January if you booked the Extended Bundle or Christmas Day if you didn’t.
This is another great concert from
some of West End’s biggest musical theatre stars. They all sing really well and
they mostly take a lot of care with their appearance which I think is very
important.
There are a lot of Christmas concerts
with people from the West End singing Christmas songs and it is getting a bit
repetitive now but this concert included a lot of songs I haven’t heard in any
other concerts. And when they do sing one of the popular songs they always try
to do something a bit different with it. It is mostly groups rather than solo
singing so there are lots of harmony possibilities.
I really liked the way it was a reunion for the casts of different musicals. Heathers, Wicked, Pretty Woman, Dear Evan Hansen and Six are all represented (though it is a shame they didn’t have any of the pretty men from Pretty Woman too). It’s nice to see them all together and they obviously knew each other’s voices really well and they are used to singing together.
Sophie Isaacs, Jodie Steele and T’Shan
Williams who were in Heathers together sang Santa Claus is Coming to
Town. Even though that is a very annoying song they made it sound really
classy. Sophie sings a really good descant. She is wearing a black leather
miniskirt as well. I want one but my dad doesn’t approve, he says I’m too
young. He knows nothing about fashion. He’s still got a mullet.
Jemma Alexander, Charlotte Yorke,
Aimie Atkinson, Serina Mathew, Rachael Wooding, Joanna Woodward and Hannah
Ducharne from Pretty Woman all wear different but very lovely and
flattering red dresses for their songs (if you know the musical or the film,
you’ll know it’s probably not just because red is Christmassy. If you don’t
know the musical or the film, I can’t be bothered to explain it to you).
Aimie’s dress is my favourite (it is floor-length and off the shoulder with
ruffles) but they all look beautiful. They made a boring old song sound really
good and their harmonies are unreal.
The & Juliet cast sing Have
Yourself a Merry Little Christmas which I have heard a lot but they sing it in
a different way. They have some really great harmonies. Grace Mouat and Cassidy
Janson’s voices blend really well together and Grace shows off her floated high
notes. They can be really hard to sing. Jordan Luke Gage is standing a bit too
far back, I’d have liked a better view of him but his singing is brilliant
I even enjoyed Jingle Bells which I
don’t usually because it’s a baby song but Sam Tutty is singing it and he could
probably sing the phone book and make it sound good. Or maybe even 80s music.
Natalie Kassanga, Tricia Adele-Turner and Hannah Lindsey are good backing
singers. They’re too good to be backing singers really but even I’d be a
backing singer for Sam Tutty if they paid me enough.
The seven performers from Six
sang All I Want for Christmas is You. It’s a really great arrangement where all
the singers get to show off how good they are. Some of them have completely
different voices from Mariah Carey but they know how to make the music work for
their voices. Natalie Paris is especially good in this song and she also sings
Miss You Most at Christmas Time solo and it’s out of this world. In some ways I
hope she never leaves Six as she is so perfect as Seymour but she has
the potential to sing so many other roles.
It’s another great Christmassy concert
from Thespie and there’s loads more on that site so it’s worth looking to see
if you can find your favourites. Though if none of your favourites are in this
concert I would be very concerned about your sanity.
No comments:
Post a Comment