Monday, April 5, 2021

POWER OF THE MIND (Coronavirus Theatre Club)***

 

By Cal

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vV0lsqpBwY 

Available until: Unknown

The best comedies have at least a little bit of truth in them and that is definitely true of Power of the Mind.

While I’m not at all sure it’s possible to use the power of your mind to achieve the things described in this monologue, there are people who really do believe this and who produce videos very like this one.

Power of the Mind is funny because it stretches the bounds of possibility so much, you can’t take it seriously. I won’t give examples because it’s only five minutes long, but there are some great moments. But it’s also funny because you know it’s not completely impossible for a video just like this to be produced for real.

The fact that people really do make and believe in videos like this is also quite a scary thought, but I think Power of the Mind might actually be quite helpful. If you watch this video, you can see that ideas about the power of the mind can be not just ridiculous but dangerous. Be honest. If someone tells you not to do something, do you ever get the urge to do it anyway, just to be awkward? I know I do. But if I watched a video like this, I think I’d soon snap out of it!

Lizbeth Ramirez shows excellent comic timing in both her writing and performance of this monologue, pitching it just right to get us laughing. She and director Samantha Pears have produced something a bit more ambitious than many of these monologues with the use of projections in the background and they’ve really set it up well, ensuring the projections are visible and large enough to be seen properly.

This monologue is a lot of fun to watch and now I get the additional fun of wondering of how I might use the power of my mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...