Sunday, January 17, 2021

LA TRAVIATA (Teatro Real Madrid/OperaVision)****

 

By Imogen

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SqpcFOchjA

Available until: 14th May 2021

I’d never even heard of Teatro Real Madrid. If you’d asked me what it was I’d have guessed that it was the Bernabeu, the stadium where Real Madrid play, their theatre of dreams. Spain doesn’t exactly have a great operatic tradition. It is a very musical nation but there aren’t many operas written in Spanish. Even the ones with a Spanish feel like Carmen aren’t written in Spanish.

But they do have a very good opera house and they have attracted some very good singers. Even though I don’t think I’ve heard of any of them.

Not many companies are even trying to stage operas at the moment (and it’s very obvious why) so I think Teatro Real Madrid deserve adulation for putting a production together and making it work. There are some quite weird bits. The socially distanced chorus do look a bit weird and creepy especially when they had their masks on at the beginning. They all had their own squares to stand in and sometimes they wore party hats and I think it would have been better if the squares weren’t all in line with each other. (I’m sure there’s a posh word for that but when I asked google it gave me an article on Rice Krispies which aren’t even square so I don’t know what google’s been smoking.)

The bluey lighting also isn’t exactly a party atmosphere but maybe Leo Castaldi (he’s the director) was trying to be all clever and postmodern by showing the shadow that is hanging over Violetta. In that case lighting director Carlos Torrijos did a good job.

It was also quite weird that Violetta and Alfredo didn’t touch (because she might have had a fatal disease for real too) but who wants to see people their age snogging anyway? It was weird but at least it was respectable.

Nicola Luisotti is the conductor and he’s a man in case you’re wondering. Most conductors are men but that’s not because women can’t do it, we’d just rather do something more interesting like being onstage in nice clothes than wearing a suit and waving a stick. But he waves his stick very well. The score sounded beautiful and I actually enjoyed listening to the preludes instead of wanting them to get on with it.

Violetta is played by Marina Rebeka and Alfredo is played by Michael Fabiano. It took me a little while to get used to them because they weren’t what I expected. I’m used to hear the roles taken by lighter-voiced singers who are earlier in their career and Marina and Michael obviously had well developed voices and lots of experience. But before too long they totally won me over. Their voices are heavy but beautiful and they have the vocal flexibility to sing the coloratura properly. Marina plays Violetta’s physical and mental suffering very well and although I think they should really have given Michael some hair he has a powerful ringing tenor and he is very passionate. I also like the way he is so enthusiastic about helping Violetta with her money problems, that kind of thing is so attractive in a man.

Artur Rucincki plays Giorgio Germont. I don’t like the character at all, I think he needs to mind his own business. My dad is the same, like what does it have to do with parents who you date? And Alfredo is much older than me. And gatecrashing parties so you can embarrass your kids, just stop now ok? Like it’s not embarrassing enough just having parents. This Germont has two sticks, one to help him walk and one shoved up his… I’m sure you know where I’m going with that. But Artur plays the cold old man very well. His characterisation is strong and his voice is powerful.

The singers in the small roles are good too. I like Sandra Ferrandez. She makes Flora seem quite fun. As long as the party hats were meant to be ironic. If they’re supposed to be a genuine fashion accessory I’m DONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...