Sunday, January 3, 2021

MAD AS A MARCH HARE (#VirusFreeMonologues)****

 

By Louise

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhjV3C1HOlw

Available until: Unknown

Erika wants a boyfriend. She has set a target to have a boyfriend by a certain time, but it’s not easy. You can’t go into a shop and buy one. It might be possible to buy one on ebay – it sounds like you can buy anything on ebay – but it probably isn’t really a good idea.

But it’s all dependent on things being right. As far as Erika is concerned, a lot of things aren’t right. She does her best to sort this out, to become the person she thinks she needs to be, but there’s only so much she can do.

It is difficult with boyfriends. I am fifteen and I have never had a boyfriend (not that I could really have got one this year). I think I’d really like a boyfriend. It would be lovely if someone really liked me and thought I was beautiful, though I don’t know if teenage boys really think things like that. And they probably wouldn’t say it if they did. But I’m not sure how much is me really wanting a boyfriend and how much of it is the fact people judge you by whether you have a boyfriend or not and by the number of boyfriends you’ve had. The expectation of the world is that you shouldn’t be single, that you’re either in a relationship or you have lots of very very short-term relationships.

I think Erika really does want a relationship, but it’s possible that a lot of people only want one because it’s expected of them.

Helen Lauren plays Erika and she shows Erika’s feelings really well. Although she’s an adult, I feel like I identify with her. The up and down emotions. Feeling sad, feeling desperate, feeling hopeful, feeling excited, feeling that it is finally going to happen. Writer and director Alice Josephs has captured these feelings really well and Ms Lauren makes Erika into a really strong and likeable character.

I really like the ending a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...