By Arran
Link: https://americanshakespearecenter.com/events/twelfth-night
Available until: You can buy this on
its own or in a package with A Midsummer Night’s Dream or Twelfth
Night or you can buy all 3 together at a discount which sounds like buy 2,
get 1 free. If you buy a package, you have two weeks to watch it. I’m not sure
about if you only buy one.
I really liked this production of Twelfth
Night. There are things in the play that make me sad but I think it was
performed in the best way so I was less sad. There are lots of different ways
you can perform Twelfth Night and I like it best when it is a comedy. I
don’t know why because some of the things that happen are very serious but it
was like they made all the characters as nice as they could be without making
them seem not like themselves anymore.
The bit that makes me sad is the way Malvolio is treated. He is different from the other characters and he does not fit in with any of them. I don’t think I am like Malvolio, he talks a lot more than I do but I know what it is like not to fit in. It is really hard for him and as soon as he gets a letter which he thinks is from Olivia telling him how he should behave he does everything he can to be the person he thinks she wants him to be.
I think the American Shakespeare Center
handled this in the best way. Sir Toby, Sir Andrew and Maria do things that
really hurt Malvolio but I don’t think they really want to hurt him. I think
they want to have fun and they encourage each other and it goes too far. They
seem like people who do things and they don’t think very hard about what might
happen. They are adults but they seem childlike in this production especially
Sir Andrew. Children can be very cruel too and sometimes it is unintentional
but I think Sir Toby, Sir Andrew, Maria and Feste and Fabian when they join in
don’t really think of Malvolio as someone who can get his feelings hurt.
Dan Hasse is the director and he has
put lots of comedy in the other relationships too. I think this really helps
with the Malvolio storyline too because if all the scenes have comedy in then
Malvolio isn’t so much of a comedy character, he’s just one character in a
comedy.
I think the comedy works really well
for the other storylines too. The situation with Viola, Olivia, Orsino (and
Sebastian when he turns up later) is like a farce. Viola likes Orsino, Orsino
likes Olivia, Olivia likes Cesario (who is Viola in disguise). I still like it
when it’s performed in a serious way but I enjoy it more when it is comedy and
I don’t have to worry about them so much.
Viola and Sebastian are played by Zoe
Speas and Mia Wurgaft. It is a bit confusing because the cast list says both of
them play both roles. I don’t think they actually do swap roles during the play.
Maybe they are sharing both roles. But I’m not sure who plays which role. Viola
is really determined, clever and resourceful and she is good at being a man. She
is also a really nice person. She really loves Orsino and she is worried when
she realises Olivia loves her. She is very funny too. Sebastian is physically
slightly more like a stereotypical man. He has a little bit more swagger then
Viola. He also seems like someone who lives in the moment and doesn’t plan
things. So the twins are different but the costume and make up people did a
really good job of making them look similar. Lots of people say twins are
mirror images and they had mirror image hair with their partings on different
sides. I really like their relationship with each other too.
Brandon Carter is quite a romantic
Orsino. It is nice the way he shows he likes Viola even when he thinks she is a
boy. Constance Swain is a happier Olivia than usual. She is funny and she has
lots of personality. I like that and it makes me feel like she is more ready to
marry Sebastian. I sometimes feel sad for Antonio at the end but Jessika D.
Williams makes me feel like Antonio will be fine. He is supposed to be a rebel
and I think this was brought across in a really strong and a really funny way.
Michael Manocchio is funny as Malvolio
and he is not horrible. He is just a bit unusual. I think he always tries to do
the right thing. Sir Toby Belch is played by John Harrell who played Iago. He
is very silly and very funny as Sir Toby. Topher Embrey is quite a sweet Sir
Andrew Aguecheek and he is very foppish and very funny. Sarah Suzuki is quite
bossy as Maria but she has a fun personality and I like her even though I don’t
like what she does.
This is a really good production. All
the productions in this set of three (Twelfth Night, Othello and A
Midsummer Night’s Dream) are really good and it is nice seeing the same
actors in different roles.
No comments:
Post a Comment