By Louise
Link: https://www.stream.theatre/season/23
Available until: Livestream 17th
January 7pm.
Roles We’ll Never
Play was filmed in December under socially
distant conditions and I was very excited when I found out it was going to be
livestreamed on Stream Theatre. Stream Theatre is such a great site and as
lockdown has continued, its productions have become more and more varied. It is
also great that they are bringing back not just shows which they have done
before but also offering a platform for successful plays which were streamed somewhere
else first time around. I am really looking forward to seeing The Pirates of
Penzance and Southwark Playhouse’s The Poltergeist again because I
loved them the first time and I think Little Wars is one of those plays
that could be even better the second time.
Roles We’ll Never Play has a very relaxed feel, even in the current environment. It is a great concert and host Carl Mullaney has a brilliant style. He’s very funny and natural.
But the one problem with these
concerts is that the actors do such an amazing job of singing roles they
wouldn’t usually be cast in, I usually end up thinking that the actors actually
could play these roles really well!
At one time, gender would have been a
barrier to certain roles, but I think that is changing. I have seen so many
women in male roles during lockdown and it seems completely normal to me now. I
have also seen men in roles that are traditionally played by women and that
works for me too. It is more difficult for men to play women’s roles (except in
productions like Sasha Regan’s wonderful Pirates of Penzance) as part of
the reason women are playing men’s roles now is because there aren’t enough
good roles for them. But I can definitely see it becoming more commonplace for
men to play women’s roles, even if it is mainly in shows which have been
specially adapted for men.
Mainly, I don’t think there are many
roles in this concert which the singer definitely couldn’t play, but
there are a couple. Luke Bayer sings Out Tonight from Rent and Maiya
Quansah-Breed sings Not My Father’s Son from Kinky Boots. They are both
ideally suited to the roles vocally. Mr Bayer captures Mimi’s character
perfectly and sings her music beautifully while Ms Quansah-Breed is incredibly
moving as the transvestite Lola. But I don’t think we’re at the stage (and
maybe we never will be) where a biological woman could play Lola because her
gender is so important to her story. I also don’t think a man could play Mimi
because that will make the character of Angel seem less important. Also, a
great strength of Rent is that Mimi, a straight (or possibly bi) female
character, has AIDS. I think that sends a very important message that would be
lost if Mimi was played by a man. This is why the Roles We’ll Never Play
concerts are so special and such a good addition to the West End. Mr Bayer and
Ms Quansah-Breed perform these songs outstandingly and this concert gives them
a platform to do that.
But there are some songs where I can’t
think of a reason for the singer not to perform the full role. Trevor Dion
Nicholas’ ‘Children Will Listen’ from Into the Woods isn’t sung in the
most typical way, but he puts a lot of emotion into it and his characterisation
is so good, I’d love him to play the Witch. The musical is about fairy tales so
I think there’s definitely a place for a (much, much more sophisticated) equivalent
of a pantomime dame. Alan Richardson is outstanding in ‘Glitter and Be Gay’,
with exquisite high notes and really agile coloratura. I think Candide
is such a strange musical anyway, the audience would probably accept unusual
casting as part of the general weirdness, especially if it’s this well
performed.
There is also a brilliant moment with
six men playing the Six queens and I’d like to think that the all-male
version which a lot of the Queendom seem to want really could happen. And
speaking of Six, the original super-swing Grace Mouat sings ‘Corner of the Sky’
from Pippin. I have actually only seen this role performed by a woman
and it worked really well. Ms Mouat would be incredible in this role. She sings
this song beautifully, from the soft opening to the belt at the end.
I’d be very happy with Laura Baldwin
as Olaf in Frozen II, though she’d be so ideal for Elsa or Anna, I think
she’s more likely to be cast in one of those roles. Pearce Barron gives a
really fun performance of ‘I Can Hear the Bells’ from Hairspray. Nicole
Raquel Dennis is outstanding in ‘For Forever’ from Dear Evan Hansen. She
played Alana in the West End, but this is Evan’s song and it’s a really meaningful
and genuine performance. Idriss Kargbo characterises Regina George from Mean
Girls perfectly in ‘World Burn’.
Renée Lamb’s performance of ‘I Dreamed
a Dream’ is also brilliant. I doubt they’d let her sing it in this style in the
musical, but it’s a beautiful arrangement of the song. Kelly Agbowu’s ‘Empty
Chairs at Empty Tables’, also from Les Misérables, is sung in much more
of a rock style than usual, but it is no less moving. But I’m sure Ms Lamb
could sing a more conventional ‘I Dreamed a Dream’ too and I’d be happy with a
female Marius.
That’s not even all the performers –
there are lots I haven’t even mentioned and they’re all so good. But if it is
possible for Jack in Newsies to be sung by a woman (I don’t know this
musical so I’m not sure), I think Alice Fearn will be getting a call as soon as
theatres reopen. Which I hope will be really, really soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment