By Megan
Link: https://www.patreon.com/shakesceneshakespeare
Available until: Unknown. If you can’t
find it, you could try again another time because they do come back.
Shake-Scene’s production of Macbeth
is very inventive and very emotional. Zoom theatre has been happening for
nearly a year now and a lot of companies are producing special effects which
are getting more and more impressive and it’s really great to watch but I think
there is still a lot to say for productions that keep it fairly simple.
Shake-Scene’s Macbeth had a few lighting effects for the supernatural moments and not much else and it was still a really brilliant production. I hope I don’t sound rude about the bigger special effects which other companies do because they really are wonderful but productions like this remind you that the biggest power comes from Shakespeare’s beautiful language. If you can’t do anything really big or you don’t want to that’s okay because it is still possible to put on a really great production. I think there is a place for all kinds of productions in the online theatre world. Especially when they’re as good as this one.
The lighting effects are really good.
The ghosts and apparitions are creepy and disturbing and a lot of it comes from
the acting. In some ways they’re scarier when they’re simple because you’re not
thinking “Wow! How do they do that?”, you’re just thinking “Aaargh, it’s a
ghost!”
The Witches are really good too.
Someone (it might be Lizzie Conrad-Hughes, the director and Book Holder) had a
really brilliant idea. Usually the Witches only appear in a few scenes but in
this production they appeared in lots of other scenes too like when Lady
Macbeth receives Macbeth’s letter about the Witches. The Witches don’t say
anything when they don’t have any lines scripted but they just sort of sit
there on the screen, watching the action and maybe controlling it too. It’s
like the opposite of having an angel watching over you. It’s really scary in a
really good way. I love it!
I also liked that the Witches are all
different. Geraldine Brennan is a really spooky witch, she has really
interesting lighting and she sort of sits there and stares. Elizabeth Huxley
has a sort of otherworldly sort of effect and I love the way she moves. Bridget
Randolph is the fun witch who really enjoys being evil. Lucia Lumbard is really
good as Hecat too.
It is also a really emotional play
because it is a tragedy and so many bad things happen. I always forget how many
people die just because they get in Macbeth’s way. Some of the characters who
die are hardly in it really but the actors in this production created
personalities for all of them and that made it even sadder because I liked the
characters.
Valentina Vinci plays Lady Macbeth and
her performance really brings out the tragedy in the play. At the start she is
quite an overpowering person and she is really in control and calm and she
knows what she’s doing. But after Duncan dies she is really anxious, it really
hits her what she and Macbeth have done and right from that moment you can see
things getting worse and worse for her. She keeps it together at the meal where
Macbeth sees Banquo’s ghost but after everyone’s gone she kind of drops the
mask and you can see how much she’s suffering. Murder is really terrible and it
was her idea more than Macbeth’s but I still sympathised with her.
Matt Williams plays Macbeth and I
really like his performance. It is very interesting because he really made me
think about how weak Macbeth is. He thinks about doing things but he usually
only does them when he’s pushed by another person or because he feels like he
has no choice. This is probably one reason why he is so good in battles, he
obeys orders really well and he follows King Duncan’s orders and he becomes
really respected. Then Lady Macbeth gets him to do the murder and after that I
think he is scared of being caught so he does everything he can to save
himself. But he’s not very good at planning things by himself, he is better at
following orders so when he is trying to organise murders and things by himself
he gets in a mess. Mr Williams shows this part of Macbeth’s character really
well.
I really liked how Malcolm was
characterised too. Hannah Harris shows how he changes through the play. First
he is quite tough and he doesn’t get affected by things but then Duncan dies
and that really throws him. When he comes back he has got himself together a
bit but he has been changed by everything and he is more human. I also like how
Simon Balcon shows two sides of Duncan, the chatty man who talks to his friends
and the King who leads Scotland.
There are lots of really good
emotional moments. Lady Macduff can seem quite unkind but Claire Richardson
really shows how hurt she is, even if she has got things a bit wrong. Larissa
Oates who plays lots of really different roles and is good in all of them makes
Young Macduff into a really intelligent boy who really thinks about things. Tim
Klotz is really good with Macduff’s reaction to the sad news and then you see
it driving him on.
I can’t mention everyone but I love
the way Fergus Rattigan plays Ross, he does a lot of running around giving
people news but Mr Rattigan shows how hard it is to deliver bad news. Abey
Bradbury from the Cream Faced Loons only has very small roles but she is always
so good to watch. I also like how Mark Cassidy performed the updated Porter’s
role. I think it’s not just the Witch who can see into the future! He knows
about the current political situation and he watches TV. It’s very clever.
This is a really enjoyable (and sad
and scary) production of Macbeth. I think it would be a good one to
watch if you are studying Macbeth for GCSE.
No comments:
Post a Comment