Wednesday, January 13, 2021

OTHELLO (American Shakespeare Center/Blackfriars Playhouse/BlkFrsTV)*****

 

By Louise

Link: https://americanshakespearecenter.com/events/othello

Available until: You can buy this on its own or in a package with A Midsummer Night’s Dream or Twelfth Night or you can buy all 3 together at a discount which sounds like buy 2, get 1 free. If you buy a package, you have two weeks to watch it. I’m not sure about if you only buy one.

A lot of theatre companies don’t just put on plays – they have their own identity as a theatre. A big part of the American Shakespeare Center’s identity seems to be music. They performed songs in character both at the start of the play and during the interval.

They are all brilliant singers and musicians, they make interesting song choices and I am awed by how much energy they all have. Othello is such a demanding play, you’d think they’d all want to go and have a rest in the interval, but the cast of Othello kept entertaining us! They really are very talented and very generous to their audience and it’s really lovely.

Othello was performed in the same beautiful venue as A Midsummer Night’s Dream, the Blackfriars Playhouse. Although it is a tragedy, director Ethan McSweeny brings out the humour in the piece, even with characters who aren’t usually funny like Desdemona. It works really well because it shows the characters were happy in their personal lives till Iago came along.

Othello is played by Jessika D. Williams who I saw earlier today in Red Bull Theater’s The African Shakespeare Company Presents Richard III and she was brilliant in that too. I’m used to forgetting when a male Shakespeare role is played by a female actor, but Ms Williams is so good, I not only accepted her Othello as a man, there was something in my brain that thought Ms Williams was a man too. Her vocal and physical mannerisms are completely stereotypically male and look very natural.

Most importantly, Ms Williams also gave a very good performance. Her Othello strides about the stage and shouts. It’s not a version of Othello I’m used to seeing, but it is a valid interpretation because this Othello is every inch the General. It’s very clear why he’s risen up the ranks and been awarded with such a high position. He is confident and commanding.

If it weren’t for Iago’s manipulation, he would have been a good role model. There is a lot of racism in Othello and some people say that Shakespeare is racist, but I think Shakespeare is showing us how competent, intelligent and respected Othello is and that it needed a really clever and twisted personality to bring him down. It’s also not just Othello who Iago manipulates in the play. He does the same to Desdemona, Emilia, Cassio and Roderigo. But he has to work a lot harder to fool Othello.

John Harrell is an interesting Iago. He is usually played in a very sneaky way and you can see and feel the evil in his face and in his voice. But Mr Harrell makes him seem friendly and chatty. His manipulation is very casual and he makes all his requests and orders sound completely reasonable. It is very easy, even when you’re a viewer who’s seen the play before, to find yourself actually liking Mr Harrell’s Iago. He seems like a very pleasant man.

But in this production, Othello isn’t the only character of colour. Emilia and Cassio are BAME too. A lot of people think Iago is racist and that that’s partly why he hates Othello so much and I think that viewpoint actually works even better if Cassio is a man of colour too. Cassio doesn’t just seem to be the guy who happened to get in Iago’s way. Iago really seems to hate him. Also, at the end (spoiler alert), Cassio is given Othello’s job and if he’s a man of colour too, it’s clear nobody’s thinking that the colour of Othello’s skin was anything to do with him being a bad governor.

Brandon Carter plays Cassio as a bit of a lad. He treats his relationship with Bianca like a joke and he is inconsiderate and demanding. I suppose in some ways he’s always like that, but Mr Carter brings out that side to him a lot more than other actors. I found him less likeable than usual, but I thought it was a very interesting and valid way to play the role. I really like the fact Cassio has very obvious flaws and it makes me think maybe Iago had a point. Maybe choosing Cassio to be lieutenant wasn’t the best idea. (Not that Iago really shows himself as lieutenant material either.)

Emilia is played by Constance Swain who is also the fight captain. She is a much stronger character than a lot of Emilias, she is confident and she is even flirtatious. I really like the relationship between her and Desdemona. Desdemona seems to treat her like an equal. But Iago definitely doesn’t. Apart from being nice to Othello – which is obviously not genuine – and pretending to be Cassio’s friend, Iago doesn’t show respect for any of the people of colour. Though if you think about it, he doesn’t respect anyone else either.

I shouldn’t really have taken so long to mention Desdemona. It seemed natural to talk about the characters I’d already mentioned, but Mia Wurgaft, who also played Helena in American Shakespeare’s Company’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, is really brilliant as Desdemona. I love the humour she brings to the role and the fact that she spends a lot of the early part of the play relaxing and having fun. She’s still a really kind Desdemona, but she’s not too saintly. When she realises things have gone badly wrong with Othello, she becomes more emotional and she is really good then too. The way she tries to understand Othello and refuses to say bad things about him feels like a strength, not a weakness.

Zoe Speas is very funny as Roderigo. He is very hapless and quite silly, but I don’t think he’s a bad person. Sarah Suzuki who plays Bianca is another actor I have seen performing with Red Bull Theater. She played a very shy and serious character in that play, but she is completely different as Bianca. She is fiery and it’s funny when she shouts at Cassio, but she also seems to like him a lot which is sad as he obviously doesn’t care about her. It doesn’t surprise me that actors are versatile, but a lot of actors get typecast and play similar roles all the time so it’s nice when that doesn’t happen.

There have been a lot of good Othellos in lockdown, but this is definitely another one to add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What to Watch Now

HAMLET (Bristol Old Vic)*****

  By Megan Link: https://bristololdvic.org.uk/whats-on/hamlet-on-demand Available until: 29 th November 2022 (48 hour rental) Content...