By Emma
Link: https://www.stream.theatre/season/12
Available until: Livestreams at 7.30pm
every day until 17th January. There are also matinées on 13th,
16th and 17th January at 2.30pm. But if you're not bothered about seeing the actors, it looks like you
can listen on Spotify for free.
Waiting for Obama is a radio play but in this production, the
actors sit or stand, socially-distant, on a stage. They read their parts from
books or tablets, as they probably do with a radio drama. One actor takes the
role of the narrator and reads out stage directions.
It is interesting to be able to see it as well as hear it but I’m not sure it really adds very much? It is helpful to know exactly how many people they are and to know which one is speaking – I think it might have been quite confusing on the radio. The stage directions would have helped but there are some scenes where quite a lot of people are present and there are no stage directions.
But mostly there is no big advantage
in being able to see the actors. There seem to be two cameras, one which gives
you a shot of the whole stage from a distance and one which is at the side of
the stage. This one can move enough to be able to see the profiles of whichever
actors are in the scene but you only see the profiles. You don’t get to see the
actors properly in close up. It is possible there is a captioned performance
(but if so I don’t know which one) but I don’t think you would be able to lip
read very well from the side and you can’t really see Martha’s face at first
because her hair is in the way.
So it kind of makes me wonder why they
bothered to take the risk of opening up the building and letting in so many actors
who are basically risking their lives for a radio play when we weren’t even
getting a good view of the actors. (There is a stage adaption too but this is
the radio play version.)
There are lots of good things in the
play which is by John Moore. It looks at gun crime and why people do or don’t
decide to have a gun in their home and the complicated and sometimes tragic
reasons behind that. The story focuses on one family, an elderly couple (Hank
and Martha), their son Peter and his wife Katie, their grandson Benny, and
Benny’s girlfriend Jenna. They think Barack Obama will be coming to take their
guns away.
It is very important to write plays
like this but the way it is written is quite strange. At first it is really
interesting and I liked the characters and I was totally gripped by the story
and I could see the different sides of the argument even though I didn’t
actually change my mind. But about halfway through it all goes a bit weird.
There is one bit where the characters
come out of character and basically decide to skip half the play. That kind of
interrupted the play and reminded us it was just a story and I also wasn’t sure
if they really were skipping half the play (it is understandable if plays can
only be a certain length due to coronavirus restrictions). Also there are
things you find out about some of the characters and it should have been a big
shock and really emotional but it made me feel confused and I wondered how much
of what I’d seen was actually real. Then the ending should have been really sad
and terrible but the way it was written made it difficult for me to take it
seriously. I think it was supposed to be metaphorical but I think sometimes
making something into a metaphor can make it less powerful and Waiting for
Obama got a bit too close to being funny which was definitely wrong.
This is just my opinion and not
everyone agrees with me but I think if a play is looking at something really
important, you really need to understand what is going on and believe in it.
There are some very good performances.
Laurence Curry does well at playing Barack Obama. He has the big stage presence
and intensity you would expect from a president but at the same time he seems
like a normal guy. He shows Barack as being understanding and human but with
very strong beliefs.
The two performances that really stand
out for me emotionally are Luke Sorge and Drew Horwitz as Benny and Peter.
Benny is the first character who really drew me into the play emotionally, he
is a likeable but vulnerable character. It takes longer to get to know Peter
but when he shows emotion, Drew really brings that across and it’s a very
powerful moment.
Chris Kendall and Leslie O’Carroll
have a really good onstage rapport as Hank and Martha, they manage to make the
relationship seem very solid even though they argue a lot. Jessica Robblee’s
Katie is a character who seems to divide opinions with the other characters and
you can kind of understand that but I had a lot of sympathy for her. Jenna Moll
Reyes plays Jenna (she has the same name as her character) and she seems very
sweet and kind but quite elusive. It’s a shame she’s not in it more. Mare
Trevathan does well with reading the stage directions, she reads them really
clearly and she really becomes part of the story, she’s not just a narrator.
So it was good and I liked it but the
way it was filmed did affect my enjoyment.
No comments:
Post a Comment